I love creamy soups. As you can tell from the recipes on my blog, I’ve played around quite a bit with different styles of creamy vegan soups. Well, my friends, I think this soup really takes the cake. It’s incredibly easy, rich, delicious, and for those non-vegans out there, it doesn’t even require the purchase of non-dairy milk!
Actually, I blogged a soup very similar to this back in September, using zucchini instead of asparagus. Someone was kind enough to Pin the recipe the other day, which gave me a reminder that it even existed! I decided to give the recipe another go, using the asparagus that was in my fridge at the time, and making a few other small changes. Here is the wonderful result!
Creamy Asparagus Soup
(makes about four servings)
- 4 T coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch asparagus, chopped
- 2 russet potatoes, quartered
- 4 cups veggie broth
- sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Melt the coconut oil in a four quart pot over medium heat.
2. Add the onion and garlic, and allow to cook until the onion is soft, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, then allow to simmer for about 45 minutes.
4. Transfer half of the soup to the blender, and blend for 30-45 seconds, or until smooth. Pour into a bowl, then repeat with the other half of the soup. You only want your blender halfway full, or you could end up with a hot mess.
5. Garnish with cilantro or parsley (I used cilantro from my little herb garden), if desired, and serve.
I have been devouring this at work all week. Blended soup with potato is now going to be a staple for me. The finished product is so incredible. None of the other creamy soups I’ve made compare to this. Please do yourself a favor and try it out! Just bask in the thought of how much saturated fat you aren’t eating in this rich dish.
What’s your favorite method of making creamy vegan soups?