Baking soda is really a miracle product. It seems to make itself useful in myriad ways in a green household. I’ve been known to use it for cooking, scrubbing the toilet and shower, cleaning out the fridge and the microwave, deodorizing the carpet and the garbage, and now, as a face wash/scrub.
I’ve been using baking soda as a face wash for a few months now, and I’m quite happy with the results. Baking soda gently exfoliates your skin with a very fine abrasive. It’s much finer than any scrub I’ve ever used, but skin makes my skin feel smooth and soft.
Baking soda is even good for those with acne. Studies have shown no negative effects.
1. Rinse your face with warm water.
2. Pour a small amount of baking soda into your hand.
3. Add a few drops of water to the baking soda, and mix with your finger so that a paste is formed. If your skin shows any signs of redness after washing, simply dilute the baking with more water in the future.
5. Rinse with warm water.
I follow up with a swipe of my apple cider vinegar toner and a natural face moisturizer. Even if you skip the toner, do not forget to moisturize, as baking soda has a slight drying effect on the skin.
Baking soda is much better to be washing down your drain twice a day than face wash, as well. The earth will thank you!
Oh, and did I mention that it’s cheap??
For other ways to green up your beauty routine check out my other Natural Beauty posts:
- Natural Beauty: Apple Cider Vinegar Toner
- Natural Beauty: Tom’s of Maine Toothpaste
- Natural Beauty: Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soap
- Natural Beauty: Dry Brushing
- Natural Beauty: Coconut Oil
What are your green beauty tips?
Have a great day!