Today, my friend Jay, from work, turns the big 5-0! Since he’s stuck at work with us tonight, I decided to bring him some treats to brighten his evening! I’m not much of a cake maker, but I know I can rock out some cookies, so I chose to make a batch of vegan chocolate chip cookies to celebrate!
These are quite a bit healthier than your standard chocolate chip cookies for several reasons:
- Did you know that one egg yolk contains as much cholesterol as you’re supposed to eat in one day? By replacing the egg with flax egg, you’re ridding yourself of the cholesterol, and adding essential omega-3 fatty acids!
- Using whole wheat flour in the place of white flour adds protein and fiber!
- By switching milk chocolate chips for dark chocolate chips, we add extra antioxidants!
Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
(adapted from this recipe)
- 2 cups Earth Balance
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 flax eggs (whisk 2 T ground flax seeds w/ 6 T water)
- 2 t vanilla extract
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 t salt
- 2.5 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 1/2 t blackstrap molasses
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix flax eggs in a small bowl and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat Earth Balance with an electric beater until fluffy. Add sugars and mix until creamy. Beat in the flax egg.
3. Add remaining ingredients and beat until mixed, scraping down the sides as needed.
4. Fold in chocolate chips.
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
I sure hope they’re a hit!! I love showing my co-workers that vegan goodies can be delicious, like with my zucchini bread last month!
What are your favorite kind of cookies?